Sunday, July 26, 2020

In My Neighborhood

From my site and looking down over the open slope below it, I see all kinds of wildlife but especially birds.  Since I am not traveling and sharing those experiences, I thought I would introduce you to the friends who are keeping me entertained during this pandemic period.

Hot and dry, the summer makes my two solar bird baths particularly attractive.  And that isn't just for birds.  I've had a doe, bunnies and grey squirrels come for a drink.  I scare off the ground squirrels;   I know they too need water, but they have had a population explosion this year.  Their dens and tunnels are a broken-ankle-waiting-to-happen not to mention the havoc beneath the pavers on my patio.    Fortunately they are skittish so if I am around, just seeing me or having me wave my arms, sends them scurrying down the hill.   

The special treat has been a Cooper's Hawk. 
  
Here are some of the images.  These were taken on different days and different times of the day so lighting shifts.  It has also used both birdbaths.  The one on the ground took an angle that left me with sore neck and shoulder for a bit; worth it.

As always, if you click on the first one, you can do this as a slide show with enlarged images.  For reasons beyond my comprehension, the images don't look sharp when I view them on this page.  I know they are sharp and they look better when you view them as a slide show, large.











Lots of other birds and squirrels too.    The Lesser Goldfinches, Titmouse, Western Bluebirds, White Breasted Nuthatches, Acorn Woodpeckers and Nuttail's Woodpeckers. and California Quail are all regulars on my site.








This is a young one, bit more than half the size of the adults.


On three digit days I look like this too.  Looking forward to a couple days in the high 80's later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment